Sunday, October 30, 2011

home improvement

I'm so proud of myself! This weekend I did my first home improvement project. I guess you'd call it that, anyway. Even though I live in an apartment. And it wasn't really that big of a deal.

Basically our front door sucks. It wouldn't close, it was a bitch to lock... you had to kinda pull up on the handle like you were trying to lift something about as heavy as a refrigerator and use your other hand to lock the door. After I was done with it, it's gotta be the best door on my block. This thing is awesome and I smile every time I use it now, because I fixed it on my own. It closes and stays closed, and locks perfectly.

Plus, I went and bought real screws to rehang my surround sound speakers. Since I put them up, thumb tacks have been holding them in place. The one by the door kept falling down because you had to slam the door to make it close, and we eventually just gave up and laid it on the back of the couch. But that's all in the past now. We have real wood screws in the walls and there's about a zero percent chance they'll fall down now. It's exciting.

I don't know why I get so excited over home improvement stuff. I can't wait to have my own house that I have free reign over. There's only so much you can change about the apartment. I wanted to bust out the wall separating the living room and staircase, and my roommate was just like "..why?" Which is a fair question, I guess. I think it's just something I want to do for fun. To see if I can. I don't know. If I had to pick a legit reason it'd be because it'd make the living room look bigger, it'd look cooler, and just be something different... all the Baylor Plaza apartments are exactly the same layout, for the most part. Largely identical. I think it'd be fun to do something different. It's really just some wood paneling, I think.... how hard could it be?

But that's the question from hell that always bites you in the ass. Regardless, I really like looking at the finished product and being like, yeah, I did that. It's just not the same when you have someone come in and do it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment