Friday, July 9, 2010

rain, rain, GO FREAKING AWAY. ....tomorrow's not good either.

oh my. Can someone please enlighten me as to WHY the weather is doing this to us here in Dallas in July? It's worse than freaking Seattle. It's worse than Houston. Its just... really hot, and either 95% humidity or flat out raining.

I love Texas? Yes, but right now we're clearly in an argument. I suppose we'll kiss and make up later.... but right now it's war. I miss the Sun, Texas, so bring it back.

In other news, I saw Despicable Me last night at the midnight premier. It was pretty amazing, I must say. Now I have to pick between a few names for my future daughter. Originally, it was to be Bonnie, after the Toy Story girl, but now I'm considering Agnes, the adorable little kid in this new one. Seriously, this movie was awesome. No tear jerking sadness this time, just good, fun jokes and comedy. It's like Pixar movies in a way, with their blunt child's humor, and more subtle humor that keeps the adults around. And it's one of those "awwww :)" movies, but that's acceptable. I need happiness in my life anyway, so if it has to be through all of these awesome animated children movies, so be it.

To top off the amazingness of Despicable Me, it was not Disney, Pixar, or Dreamworks. So no one can automatically hate it "because its Dreamworks". The animation was really good in my opinion, and it was by Illumination Entertainment, who ever they are. This was their production premier. Their First movie. I approve and can't wait to see how they improve in "Flanimals" in 2011. We'll see.

Small update about the persistent rain: its now thundering again, and there is a flowing river in my front yard and a lake in my driveway. Again. The water doesn't quite make it all the way across the street yet, but I'm sure it'll get there.

See, my street has no curbs. So the drainage happens in ditches in the front yards and through 12" pipes that go beneath driveways. Hypothetically, it all drains in the direction of the least resistance, which leads to a large drain on the other side of my loop. But what really happens is all the 12" pipes get clogged and the water-friendly low spots in the front yards turn into lakes, resulting, currently, in this:

Please note: lake in my front yard, bigger lake on the far right where my driveway is supposed to be, and the body of water that looks like a one dimensional moat across the street, in front of both houses.

This is what happens every time it rains at my house. And it's been raining a lot lately. Best part? It actually gets a lot worse than what's in the picture. Isn't that awesome? Yeah, I thought so too.

On the bright side, I get all the movie channels again. See, my dad complains to Verizon a lot. Like, A LOT. So we frequently get "shut up and leave us alone" perks. FiOS dropped a few channels - maybe 4 or 5 - off of our account on accident, so my dad calls in and complains a bit, so now we have an instantaneous internet, 35 up 35 down (compared to DSL, which is more like 6 if you have the fast one. You don't have to know anything about downloading speed to know that if 3 is ok if you have to and 6 is decent, 35 is freaking amazing.) Now, I use the wireless, so it bumps it down to about 25, BUT STILL. its about 5 times better than anyone else's hard wire connection. We also have all the HBO, Starz, etc. channels for 6 or 12 months, I can't remember exactly. It's all the same to me, past 2 months anyway. We get NFL red zone, so all football all the time, not that I'll get to reap the benefits of that one. We have every HD channel FiOS makes. You get it. My Dad is the king of complaints. And as if that's not enough, my phone keeps randomly turning off (again), and it's under warranty, so Verizon is giving me a new one (again). Considering we use Verizon for - and pay Verizon monthly for - our home phone, FiOS TV, cell phones, and internet, I don't think it's completely unreasonable that we ask for these things. But it is a little ridiculous how much we mooch off of Verizon. I almost feel sorry for the company. Almost.

So. Another life update without touching on New York or Orientation? I think not. I'm gonna give up on New York... nothing incredibly eventful happened. It was New York... the end. Orientation was pretty entertaining though. We stayed in this La Quinta that was right next to campus that claimed to have wireless internet. But, we soon found, it was only wireless if you kept your computer in contact with the floor within a small, invisible 4 foot box. And even then, it was spotty and slow. First day of orientation, it was a little hard to figure out where everything was. We had schedules with us, with building and room numbers, but those were only slightly helpful. So while my dad and I were wandering about the business building looking for this nonexistent room, there were 4 or 5 other people doing the exact same thing as us. Did we all collaborate? No! Why? Dunno. But anyway, we ended up asking someone that worked in the building, and they pointed us to the building next door where we were supposed to be, and we kinda half took charge and waved to the other wanderers, Hey, it's this way! Among them was this girl that stood out with her blue and white striped shirt, since she was the only person on Baylor campus wearing blue. Anyway, she was clearly looking for the business major meeting too, so I said to myself, "well, maybe we'll meet each other properly someday." Throughout the day, I kept seeing her, just because she stuck out so much, and eventually, by some act of God, ended up sitting at the same dinner table as her, all nice and separated from anyone over the age of 20. Turns out she's from Colorado and her name is Shanna. ----Shanna, if you ever manage to come across this for any reason... uhm, ignore it? I dunno. Sorry I'm telling the world about you. heh. ---- So anyway, interesting things happened at orientation to college. The vast majority of the girls at Baylor's orientation- Shanna being no exception - was so highly attractive. I really dunno if I've seen that many attractive women in the same place for the same reason before. 60/40 women to men at Baylor too, so not only are most of them women, but out of those, most of them are attractive. I'm at Baylor for the academics, I promise, but that certainly isn't a deterrent from the Baylor College Experience, as far as I'm concerned.

Good times. Stay dry, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment