Tuesday, July 6, 2010

life update.... facebook, Wendy's, stalking... the usual.

i wish i had a real reason to post right now, but i can't think of one. so instead, i'll tell you the story/thought process leading up to my typing at this moment.

When I get bored, I resort to facebook. A lot. Like, sit on it for hours and stalk and chat and whatever. Well, if you didn't know, at points in the day, there are dry spots where there is nothing going on inside the facebook world, and no matter how many times I hit refresh, there are no more 'most recent' posts to entertain myself with. So at that point, I start to stumble. The glory of StumbleUpon is never ending, but I suppose that's the purpose of it. If you are unfamiliar, try it. StumbleUpon.com. It's the ultimate boredom solver. But after a bit, even that gets old - have I mentioned I have the shortest attention span ever? So, what comes after that? Food. I give up on the computer for a little bit, and go get food. Food is your friend. But once fed, now what? I open my mac up again and search for rescue, and see the blogspot bookmark at the top of the screen, between my bank bookmark and wikipedia. Now I feel guilty, since I haven't posted in a while. Hey, I'll post! That's something to occupy my time! Oh, wait, I have nothing to say. What should I talk about? MEHHH.

So I decided to say all that in the end.

Now that I think of it, I have a lot to say. Like, for example, I went to Wendy's today. A few awesome things happened at Wendy's, as usual. First of all, I got my first free frosty. Wendy's put on a promotional where you buy this key chain for a dollar, and they'll give you a frosty every time you buy something until next year. I love free things, I love frosty's, and I love Wendy's, so this works out very well for me. The second awesome thing was getting to watch these girls at the other booth. Now, before you go, woah there, Kyle, I don't wanna hear your awful fantasies and listen to you describe some hot chicks, you should know, its not quite like that. there were 3 girls, anywhere from 7th to 9th grade... they all look the same around that age... and there was one older guy, could have been a dad of one of them, sitting a table over. One of the girls was obviously upset about something, as she was complaining, loudly, to anyone who would listen - particularly the older man. It sounded like she was going on about how dumb her mother was and how unfair all of it was and how she even asked permission before she did "it", whatever it may have been for this young drama queen. I kept looking over, smiling in a way that said, wow is this girl stupid. I do hope she grows up someday. Anyway. This wasn't the most amusing part, either. (Don't get me wrong, it was pretty amusing.) The best part was her friend, who was sitting next to her in the booth, separating her from her father (that's my best guess anyway). She had this look of pure exasperation. It was one of those faces that told a whole story. Something like, "Wow, she's really saying all this. She has everything in life, and she has the nerve to talk to her dad like that. Again. Why am I friends with her? I'm so embarrassed to be sitting here, being associated with her." She kept looking around Wendy's to see if anyone else was seeing this and saw how exactly ridiculous she was being... or she was seeing if there was anyone she knew so she could figure out if she needed to go to the bathroom for an extended period of time, or just hide her face. Either way. I think it was the first though, because as she looked around, she caught me smirking at this poor, loud girl who was still throwing a preteen tantrum. When she saw me, she just held this look that said "help?" and shook her head like, "I promise I'm not like that; please don't think I'm the same way just because I'm sitting here." At this point, I gave her a sympathetic look of my sincerest apology, and went back to the conversation with my dad. After 10 or so minutes, the girl had shut up a little, but was still babbling on about her phone and her mom's texting habits and memory (or what seemed to be the lack thereof). After one last look of sympathy, I got up and left her there stranded with the loudmouth and one other friend, who was sitting with her back to me, so I couldn't tell whose side she was on.

Isn't it funny how we make these small interactions in our lives? It's kind of like driving past a house with a big window at 50 miles an hour. You get a small glimpse into someone's life, knowing how unlikely you'll ever get closer. Those girls have probably been best friends since elementary school, and their future could go so many different ways... and while I saw one of the rough moments of their lives, their lives will continue on without me or my knowledge. I will very likely never see any of them again, and today they were single service entertainment for my lunch. But to them, it was just one day of thousands.

There's another way to step back and look at other lives, knowing they have nothing to do with you. I think it's really humbling to see just how huge the world is, and how few people you know and how little power you have in the big scheme of things. But yeah, go search a random name on facebook, find a less protected profile, and start investigating. It isn't stalking, and I hope I'm not a creep for doing this for fun. Stalking is being obsessed with a person and finding out everything about them. This is totally different - it's stepping into someone's life for fun. Please don't think I'm really weird - I don't do this sort of thing on a daily basis, promise.

In other news, I'm back from New York and Baylor's orientation, and I'm about to go to Missouri next Wednesday, then Line Camp on the 26th, then to a family wedding anniversary. Then I'm going sky diving with my best friend and my cousin. Then I'm going to Baylor. More to come on those things later though. My next one'll probably be about New York and orientation, since those already happened, and the longer I don't write about them, the less I'll be able to... bad memory comes with the short attention span. :]

1 comment:

  1. for not having anything to say, you sure did have a lot to say.

    ReplyDelete